Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favorites  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: The Crisis of the Black Man
Socrates
Cocoa Lounge Addict

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8.6.2004 at 05:22 AM
The Crisis of the Black Man

Okay folks. We are an intelligent bunch on this Cocoa Lounge Board. Let's discuss real solutions for this crisis. Something MUST BE DONE and it might as well start here.

--------------------
The Crisis of the Black Man
By Salim Muwakkil, In These Times
Posted on August 6, 2004, Printed on August 6, 2004
http://www.alternet.org/story/19468/

Barack Obama wowed them with his speech during the Democratic National Convention. Not only is he likely to make history as only the third black U.S. senator elected since Reconstruction; pundits already are touting his presidential possibilities. With his probable electoral victory this November, Sen. Obama will join a number of African-American men who are making a real mark on American culture.

Obama's stage is politics. Black men are exerting their influence in every other nook and cranny of American life cinema, athletics, media, medicine, theater. These are important milestones, but we can't let them obscure a more troubling assessment of black men's status.

It's an "emerging catastrophe," New York Times' columnist Bob Herbert wrote on July 19. And he's not alone in invoking such urgent language. Many experts are warning that black men are in the midst of a social crisis that Americans seem eager to ignore.

"Ignore" may be the wrong word. The media focus relentlessly on one aspect of this crisis: crime. But that focus is from the "if it bleeds, it leads," angle. The street crime that captures so much media attention is just the effect of a long list of causes. This crisis has many components high unemployment, under education, poor healthcare, inadequate housing that are not quite as media friendly.

Herbert's Times column highlighted a study by Andrew Sum, of Boston's Northeastern University, that found "by 2002, one of every four black men in the U.S. was idle all year long." And this unemployment rate of at least 25 percent did not include homeless men or those in jail or prison. "It is believed that up to 10 percent of the black male population under age 40 is incarcerated," Herbert writes.

That study had a national focus, but things are even worse in some urban centers. In Chicago, for example, the urgency of the situation prompted three Illinois Democrats Reps. Danny K. Davis, Jesse L. Jackson Jr. and Bobby Rush to convene a State of the African American Males Conference in June. In the press release announcing the success of the conference, organizers asked a number of questions:

"Why are more than 50 percent of African-American males between the ages of 16 and 22 out of work and not in school? Why are 87 percent of juvenile parolees African-American males? Why are 60 percent of adult parolees African-American males? Why have only 38 percent of black males graduated from Chicago high schools since 1995, while 62 percent have dropped out?" Most of those numbers pertain to Illinois and Chicago, but also echo the statistics of other urban centers.

Earlier this year, the Community Service Society of New York released a report, "A Crisis in Black Male Employment," that found only 51.8 percent of black men between the ages of 16 through 64 were employed from 2000 to 2003.

But issues of criminal justice are perhaps the most troublesome aspects of this crisis. According to Justice Department figures, 12.9 percent of black males ages 25-29 were in prison or jail; for white men in the same age group the number is 1.6 percent. These racially disparate incarceration rates influence public perception of black men and debilitate other aspects of black community life.

The corrections complex occupies too much space in African-American culture and long has exerted disproportionate influence on the lives of young black people. Long lists of statistics detail the depths of this crisis, but just one the U.S. Justice Department projects that 32 percent of African-American men born in 2001 will spend time in prison is enough to reveal its debilitating effects.

A flurry of research is unearthing the interlocking dimensions of this crisis. A study by Becky Pettit of the University of Washington and Bruce Western of Princeton University found that "fully 60 percent of African-American male high-school dropouts born between 1965 and 1969 had been incarcerated by the time they reached their early 30s." (See, "Prison in the Cards," Page 8)

Despite Obama's promise, conditions are worsening for far too many black men. Rep. Davis wrote President George W. Bush a letter urging him to establish a federal commission to analyze the dire plight of African-American males. "I urge you to take this step to bring national attention to a very serious problem and a great need," he wrote.

Davis supports Democrat John Kerry, who now has the national spotlight. Perhaps he should write Kerry a similar letter.

http://www.alternet.org/module/printversion/19468
Jeneen
Brown Sista

Mood: Fine, and yours?

[*] posted on 8.7.2004 at 03:17 AM

I have no idea where to start.The problem is just so massive.

Maybe alternative schools not just for Black males but all Black children.I have read stories of quite a few privately run Black schools that are doing the most amazing things with Black children from poor neighborhoods.

I don't know if this is a start and I admit my brain can't come up with much.I look forward to hearing what the other members here have to say.
cheeky
Gold Member

Mood: Serene. Yet... giddy.

[*] posted on 8.7.2004 at 05:40 AM

The problem is indeed massive.

Living in an urban city overwhelmed by these very problems and working in the court system have pushed me to reach this conclusion: young black males (and increasingly females) are using the prison system as a Rite of Passage. There's a certain mindset, in this town anyway, that says, "you ain't a man if you ain't been inside". The goal is to be thought of as "hard"; not to be considered weak or soft by any means. I guess jail is the best environment to prove that.
Where that line of thinking came from, I don't know, but we need to stop it from filtering down into the next generation. Black manhood needs to be refined and redefined to our youth. In a big way.

To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.

-Lao Tzu-

Under no circumstances lose hope.

-His Holiness, The Dalai Lama-
cheeky
Gold Member

Mood: Serene. Yet... giddy.

[*] posted on 8.12.2004 at 05:45 PM

50 views, no opinions. Not even Socrates. :dunno: Maybe it's a lost cause.

To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.

-Lao Tzu-

Under no circumstances lose hope.

-His Holiness, The Dalai Lama-
blackart

Mood: Shi[Censored] the Light

[*] posted on 8.12.2004 at 08:28 PM

FIRST I APPLUAD YOU SOCRATES FRO BEING POLITICALLY INCLINED ESPECIALLY WHEN IT COMES TO OUR PEOPLE. FARRAKHAN ONCE SAID THAT.. LOOK AT THE SCHOOL AND NOT THE CHILDREN FOR THE ANSWERS OF WHY WE DROP OUT OF SCHOOL. THE SCHOOL IS OUT DATED, AND WE HAVE OUT GROWN THE SCHOOL. NOW I AM A HIGH SCHOOL DROP OUT, 11TH GRADE BUT LATER ACQUIRED G.E.D. WHILE IN PRISON. I NEVER GAVE IT ANY THOUGHT ON WHY I QUIT SCHOOL, AND AS I THOUGHT ABOUT WHAT FARRAKHAN SAID IT WAS TRUE. SCHOOL IN AMERICA DOES NOT TEACH, IT TRAINS YOU TO GO OUT INTO THE WORK FORCE OF AMERICA AND PLAY IN THE GAME OF CAPITALISM. THE SCHOOLS DOES NOT TEACH US HOW TO BECOME CRITICAL THINKERS. FOR ME ONLY COLLEGE COURSES THAT INTERESTED ME COULD HOLD MY ATTENTION, BUT I CANNOT RECEIVE COLLEGE COURSES IN HIGH SCHOOL. THE EDUCATION SYSTEM IN AMERICA IS OUT DATED, AND OUR PEOPLE FEEL LIKE IT IS A WASTE OF TIME. IM NOT SAYING THAT EVERYONE WHO DROPS OUT FEELS THIS WAY, BUT THIS IS INDEED A LEGIT REASON WHY SOME OF US DROP OUT. SCHOOL DOESNT HELP WHEN YOUR POOR, HUNGRY, AND HAVE NO ELECTRICITY AT HOME. OUR INFERIOR HOUSING CONDITIONS, COUPLED WITH THE UNDER FUNDED SCHOOL, THAT DOESNT TEACH AFRICAN AMERICANS TRUE AFRICAN CULUTURE, DOESNT MAKE SCHOOL INTERESTING. OUR SCHOOLS ARE IN OUR NEIGHBORHOODS. OUR NEIGHBORHOODS DO NOT LOOK AS GOOD AS THEIRS . THERE FOR WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF HIGHER EDUCATION??? I KNOW THE PURPOSE BUT WHAT I AM GETTING AT IS WHAT WE SEE IS WHAT WE GET, AND OUR CHILDREN DO NOT SEE ANYTHING BEYOND THE GHETTO.. THIS IS WHERE GREAT PARENTING COMES IN AT. I AM IN NO WAY TRYING TO USE ANY OF MY THOUGHTS AS EXCUSES, BUT I THINK THESE ARE SOME REASONS....
Diamond
Super Moderator

Mood: Flawless Black Beauty

saddy.gif posted on 8.12.2004 at 09:33 PM
Will We Ever Make It Safe To Live Around Each Other???

I have attempted to post on this thread a thousand times..but ...my thoughts were flowing too much..got wwwaaayyy to long so I didn't enter it...

Ntway...I'll just say..I feel the pain.I empathize deeply..I just feel SOME black men are their worse enemy...Sometimes I think a lot suffer from ADHD...to coin it..or control issues and I love Black Men...I don't know why they seem to give up and not strive to pursue their worth..I don;t know why they do what they do...But at some point Why Are Black Men Not Held Accountable for Their Actions....From a Black women's perspective..it seems like I and some others have been gun shy in backing say some Black Male Plights...

I just don't Buy It All The Time That it is always a Society Systems Issues....getting tired of that arguement..seems to support other who say Blacks can not Achieve anything unless a White Man starts a program for him or Comes to Our Rescue..like a Great White Hope..Knight in Shining Armor....I mean many have come from war torn countries and make it here as a foreigner....are we foreigner's in our own Country...I mean there are No White People present when Hakeem didn't pay for his drug debt and he gets his head blown the Hell away by another black man Tyrone...I mean WHY oh WHY Do Black Men Prey On Each Other

I just get tired of using being Black as a Crutch when it comes to issues we seem to be doing to ourselves...and it hurts to read about all these Black on Black Crimes....I don't agree that a Special Committee like thing needs to be started to research the Plight of Black Male...nor that it is MAINLY A societies systems Cause for the Effect to be Black Men Gunning for Other Black men...otherwise Black Women would be Killing Each Other at the Same Rate as Our Racial Counterparts...

I have too many UnPOPULAR Views Regarding this Post...

So...I'll stop here..But Good Post Socrates..

Lil Diamond....If I don;t get cussed out too bad I may be back with a Part Two....Just my opinion...

Winners Never Quit...Quitters Never Win...
mr-marlon
Platinum Member

Mood: better

[*] posted on 11.19.2005 at 07:24 AM

I honestly belive that we have to get back in control of our innercity schools. We have teachers there that are not from where our kids are coming from. They are there to get a check and to tell other folks that I am a teacher. I know for a fact that all of my favorite teachers in high school were black. When they talked to me it was real, they didn't talk down to me like the white teachers did. They believe in us.

"How can you truly understand me, if you haven't been where I've been, see where I am coming from."

"If you don't like the hand you were dealt, Just make sure you save all your aces"
View user's profile View All Posts By User U2U Member This user has MSN Messenger
ShesBack
Banned

[*] posted on 11.19.2005 at 03:16 PM

solutions for the Black man?
I'm all for structural change but we know that aint happening so the individual approach has to be taken.
Black men need to excell in school. Some of the brightest kids are Black males but they don't put their time, energy, and effort into school.
with education, comes a better life.
Black men need to let go of mainstream hip hop culture. It's VERY misognic and leads them to disrespecting and viewing Black women as nothing more than sexual objects.
The Black on Black crime has got to stop.
no no, wait lemme advocate structural change because it's the system that contributes the most to Black men failing.
first off, the schools in the hood need to be just as good as the ones in the burbs.
There needs to be more community centers with mentors helping with HW, sports being played, a place for teens and adults to go to relax and interact with one another so they're not out on the streets doing nothing with themselves.
there needs to be some money management workshops for Blacks to learn how to manage their money and not blow it on rims and cars and all that material garbage.
more Black owned businesses, so Black money stays in the Black Community.

http://www.coyotescorner.com/images/feminism.jpg
View user's profile View All Posts By User U2U Member This user has MSN Messenger
Strongblackman
Platinum Member

[*] posted on 11.19.2005 at 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ShesBack
solutions for the Black man?
I'm all for structural change but we know that aint happening so the individual approach has to be taken.
Black men need to excell in school. Some of the brightest kids are Black males but they don't put their time, energy, and effort into school.
with education, comes a better life.
Black men need to let go of mainstream hip hop culture. It's VERY misognic and leads them to disrespecting and viewing Black women as nothing more than sexual objects.
The Black on Black crime has got to stop.
no no, wait lemme advocate structural change because it's the system that contributes the most to Black men failing.
first off, the schools in the hood need to be just as good as the ones in the burbs.
There needs to be more community centers with mentors helping with HW, sports being played, a place for teens and adults to go to relax and interact with one another so they're not out on the streets doing nothing with themselves.
there needs to be some money management workshops for Blacks to learn how to manage their money and not blow it on rims and cars and all that material garbage.
more Black owned businesses, so Black money stays in the Black Community.

SheBack makes so many valid and valuable points here!

PeACE!
ShesBack
Banned

[*] posted on 11.19.2005 at 06:23 PM

I always do.

Strongblackman
Platinum Member

[*] posted on 11.19.2005 at 06:40 PM

Quote:
I always do.

Humble too! LOL!

Don't get carried away by the ONE post you got right!

PEACE!
ShesBack
Banned

[*] posted on 11.19.2005 at 06:42 PM

umm no, just confident. and I know I'm always on point. People just get caught up with my delivery.

Strongblackman
Platinum Member

[*] posted on 11.19.2005 at 06:49 PM

Quote:
umm no, just confident. and I know I'm always on point. People just get caught up with my delivery.

No, I think they catch you in yours!

PEACE!
ShesBack
Banned

[*] posted on 11.19.2005 at 06:49 PM

never.

Strongblackman
Platinum Member

[*] posted on 11.19.2005 at 06:51 PM

Quote:
never.

Then you must be referring to dodo-lounge, then, because from what I see, cocoalounge puts you in your place!

PEACE!
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top