Cocoa Lounge - African American Forum & Message Board - Schlinder's List Nazi commandant's black granddaughter: 'My grandfather would have shot me'
Cocoa Lounge
[Login ]
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this page
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favorites  
Author: Subject: Schlinder's List Nazi commandant's black granddaughter: 'My grandfather would have shot me'
Tea_Honey
Cocoa Lounge Royalty

Mood: One Happy Camper

[*] posted on 5.6.2015 at 09:58 AM
Schlinder's List Nazi commandant's black granddaughter: 'My grandfather would have shot me'

Six years ago, Jennifer Teege made a chilling discovery about her family tree, said Maureen Callahan in the New York Post. Teege, then 38 and a German native, was browsing a library in Hamburg when she came across a memoir written by the woman she knew as her biological mother. The book revealed that the author's father - Teege's grandfather - had been a Nazi official who ran a concentration camp immortalized in "Schindler's List," of shooting prisoners form his balcony for sport. "It really turned my world upside down," Teege says. She read the book in one sitting, then couldn't stop crying and struggled to get out of bed. "I was thinking in circles," she says. "I couldn't function.

The hardest part for Teege, said Aron Heller in the Associated Press, was sorting out what the revelations said about a person she had loved. In her own memoir, "My Grandfather Would Have Shot Me," Teege, who Is half Nigerian, describes how the German grandmother she'd idolized as a child stood by Goeth during the war and showed no remorse even decades later. Jennifer had often been told she was just like her glamorous grandmother, and now she wondered how deep the similarities ran. "It's not just good taste in clothes," she says. "It's also: How would I behave during the war? Who am I? What are my moral values?" Years later, she's finally certain that the offspring of monsters don't have to be monsters, too. "You decide who you want to be," she says. "You can be different."

Source: The Week newsmagazine of 4/24/2015

Watch Teege's grandfather, Commandant Goth, in the balcony scene from Schindler's List, where he kills random Jews in the concentration camp for fun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcyLRTB9fRY

Here he walks up and down a line of Jews and shoots every other one - 25 in all:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2j-qhgYY5Bs

Teege is right. Her grandfather would have shot her.

Out of Love, you can speak with straight fury
Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it
Choose your hypnotist well.....
Ergo,
the blue pill (illusion), or the red pill (reality)
Tea_Honey
Cocoa Lounge Royalty

[*] posted on 5.7.2015 at 10:29 PM

I was looking for another review of Teege's book when I ran across this article. It is so moving, so thought-provoking, so APT.... for black people! For our stupid mulatto issues - Never trust a mulatto :no: say so many accomplished and/or revered black people, e.g., though Teege calls her grandfather a "monster," and though her grandmother treated her, well, not as a grandmother should, she struggles with, but is adamant about loving them both. She even "rationalizes" Goth, saying he was once an innocent child or some such..... whateva! It is, as well, a thought-provoking essay on family life, secrets, the "sins of the fathers....."

The article won't copy & paste, but I PROMISE you, the read is so well worth the click on and see. My God! but it's worth it!

Teasers:

Teege's grandmother rued the day the concentration camp closed down - "Amon (her husband and sadist/commandant) was king, and I was queen" (like I always KNEW those pigs felt).

Teege's mother abandoned her as a baby and put her in an orphanage. Her grandmother (of all people!) took her out of the orphanage and raised half-black Teege until she was 7 when she was adopted by another German family. (grannie's "atonement'?)

Teege's mom married a horribly abusive husband whom she felt was like her father Amon, prolly was. She even speaks of seeking an unconscious "atonement" with that marriage.

There is a film about Teege's mother based on the book she wrote (the one Teege accidentally found in the library). I think I may have seen it, but Teege's mom looks up the maid Schindler's List depicts as being horribly abused and enslaved as a domestic servant. They eventually become "friends" of a sort.

It goes on and on, but what something else that pops out at you.... the sins of the fathers.... is that there is a whole branch of counseling in Germany for descendants of NAZI perps. Like Teege, they wrestle with fear and anxiety for if their forbearers' "monster" genes are inherited. Like Himmler's great-niece, many descendants have had themselves sterilized to make sure their putrid bloodline dies out.

Like I said, it makes for fascinating reading. :tu:

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-life/jennifer-teege-my-nazi-grandfather...

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it
Ergo,
Tea_Honey
Cocoa Lounge Royalty

[*] posted on 5.28.2015 at 02:09 AM
Looking at 'The Assisi Underground,' a movie about a priest who hides Jews during WWII, it occurred to me....

Quote:

something else that pops out at you.... the sins of the fathers.... is that there is a whole branch of counseling in Germany for descendants of NAZI perps. Like Teege, they wrestle with fear and anxiety for if their forbearers' "monster" genes are inherited. Like Himmler's great-niece, many descendants have themselves sterilized to make sure their putrid bloodline dies out.

The Nazis wanted to kill all the Jews. They wanted to wipe their seed forever from the earth. And yet, and yet, there are more Jews today than there were in Europe during WWII. Not only that, but well, what you send into the universe, you'll get back.

Nazis wanted to wipe Jewish blood from the face of the earth. Many of their descendants wiped their Nazi fathers' seed from the face of the earth by sterilizing themselves!

Commandant felt only Aryans were suitable inhabitants of the earth. His ONLY (?) seed is a half-black woman.....

No biggie. Just kinda hit me at how what you throw into the universe comes right backatcha!

Ergo,